Polycarbonate (PC) is a naturally transparent thermoplastic material, best known for its extremely high impact strength, high heat resistance and optical clarity.
Although this polymer is available in a variety of (translucent) colors, this plastic material allows for the internal transmission of light nearly in the same capacity as glass.
Pexco is a manufacturer of PC parts across a variety of market applications, most notably for Lighting.
Polycarbonate is a Copolymer
Polycarbonate is a copolymer, in that it is composed of several different monomer types in combination with one another. These polymers are used to produce a variety of products and are particularly useful when impact resistance and/or transparency are a product requirement (as with bullet-proof glass). A lighter alternative to glass as well as a natural UV filter. PC is commonly used for plastic lenses in lighting fixtures, eyewear, automotive components, protective gear, greenhouses, and digital disks (CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray).
This polymer is very pliable and can typically be formed at room temperature without cracking or breaking - similar to aluminum sheet metal. Although deformation may be simpler with the application of heat, small angle bends are possible without heat. PC also has very good heat resistance and can be combined with flame retardant materials without significant material degradation.
The following diagram shows the relative impact strength of Polycarbonate when compared to other commonly used plastics such as ABS, PVC, Polystyrene (PS), Acrylic, PET or Nylon.
- Custom colors
- Cut lengths
- Very high impact and tear resistance
- Great optical clarity but lighter than glass
- High heat resistance
- Excellent resistance to electricity
- Excellent resistance to water
- Resists impact deformation very well, relative to other plastics
- Very pliable – can be fabricated, formed and bent
- Available in FDA grades
- Very susceptible to scratching
- Higher cost compared to some of the other commonly used thermoplastic materials
- Eyewear lenses
- Diffusers & light pipes for LED
- Golf cart windshields
- Bullet-proof glass
- Lighting fixture lenses
- Medical devices
- Automotive components
- Greenhouses and atriums
- Digital disks (CDs, DVDs, Blue-Rays)
- Protective Gear
- Covers for lighted highway signs
- Clear packaging tubes for consumer products
- Microwave ovens
- Cell phone cases
Contact our team of experts today to get started.